Hybrid View

TomLee Guest

Default Difference b/w Modbus TCP/IP & Ethernet/IP

Hi,
    I am designing a system and dealing many devices (PLCs, HMIs, SCADA...) communicating over standard ethernet network.
    Some will be communicating by Modbus TCP/IP protocol while others by Ethernet/IP protocol.

Are both protocols different and will they work on same switch?
    Thanks.

Kum Guest

Both Modbus TCP/IP and Ethernet/IP co-exists on the same network.

Infact they are just packets of data so they will get through the switch just fine.
    If you have data that needs to move between Ethernet/IP and Modbus/TCP devices you will need some sort of a bridge device that supports both protocols.
    There are several available, you can google it.

Also, take a close look at the amount of traffic on the network and how that might affect your overall performance. I am facing this issue on a site.
    EtherNet/IP, in its original form, used broadcast UDP messages for I/O data. The problem with this is that every device on the network sees all of those packets. This can cause some devices to be overwhelmed. There are several things that can mitigate this issue. A few devices (let's say 4) that may be okay.

Normally we never feel a need to separate the Modbus/TCP and EtherNet/IP traffic, other than the flooding caused by EtherNet/IP broadcasts :-)

Hope that helps.....