cad4321 Guest

Default CMD commands not working on 32 bit or 64 bit system (W7)?

In Windows 7 64 bit, when running
    CMD (command prompt)
    C:\Documents and Settings\... \ping or ipconfig or any command

I get the following error
    'ping' is not recognized as an internal or external command.

Please help me solve my problem.

Thanks

Kum Guest

Default Ping not recognized as internal or external command anymore??

Your system has lost the setting for not only ping but any software which you can type and may want to run from Start > RUN box.
    Normally if you install RSLinks or RSView software it is known to mess up your PATH setting and change its default setting to their software.
    It is known bug in RSLogic....

Here's how to fix it:

1. Right click 'My Computer', select 'Properties', click on the 'Advanced' tab

2. Select 'Environment Variables'

3. Select 'PATH' from the list of System Variables and Edit
    set PATH to c:\windows\system32
    hit OK and OK and try now....

I can bet - job done :-)

Benty99 Guest

I had same issue and above steps work like charm and THANKS !!

Also, the PATH field needs to be the first one in the list, if you have more than one.

cad4321 Guest

Still no luck... not working...
    Yes, I installed RSLogics and that caused it....

govin Guest

Here is what I did and not my similar problem is okay....

Right click "My Computer"
    Click "Properties".
    Click the "Advanced" tab up top followed by the "Environment Variables" button at the bottom.
    In the 2nd list box, scroll down to the 5th or 6th entry "PATH",
    select it and click "Edit".
    Add "%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;" (minus the quotes) to the beginning of the line.
    Okay the changes and try out your commands now.

DOM Guest

Default Understand your OS's Environment Variables

Guys,
    Here is details of this issue....

This happens when your environment variable settings were altered by some application you installed. It may be any applications (not just Rockwell's RSLinks or RSLogics etc.)

A previous poster said that you should change your settings to c:\windows\system32. Be care full... as it will cause problems with installed applications and some native applications that windows has will not run if they are outside that directory.

Right click on My Computer > select Properties > Advanced tab > Environment variables button located towards the bottom.
    You will see a dialog that has 2 parts.

Name:  _EV_1.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  95.8 KB

See above picture and follow number sequence... Ignore top part is for user variables. Usually there is not much there and sometimes will have nothing at all. This is normal and you do not need to add or adjust anything there. The second part is for the system itself and you should see several entries there.

The one you should look at is the one with PATH label to the left labeled Variable.
    Left click to select the Path entry and then select Edit.

You will be presented with another dialog with 2 fields that you can edit.
    Do not alter the Variable name field as the system needs that name to set PATHS for the windows environment.
    Under Variable value, don't delete that line and reset it to a path that is C:\windows\system32. This may cause you problems if you had other paths set up for other applications there.

A common practice is - you copy the entire field so you can see what is all there using a Text editor like Notepad.exe.
    Once you copy the field, then the parts your concerned with are the entries %SystemRoot% and %SystemRoot%\system32. These should be the first 2 entries and in that order.
    Make sure each entry separated by a ";" (no quotes).

The first 2 entries should be like the following:

%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32

The first one (%SystemRoot%) is to tell your system where your Windows Operating system is located. You can type that in a command prompt and get something similar to C:\windows. This is very important that it is placed at first as it tells the Shell (A shell is the same as Command Prompt) and the Desktop (an application running called explorer.exe which is not to be confused with Internet Explorer:-) where the OS files reside such as the EXE / executable and command files are.
    The second one (%SystemRoot%\system32) is where the programs such as ping.exe and arp.exe are located.

If above is not enough then, learning more about these environment variables.

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot% are only 2 of them. There are several more that serve similar to wildcards to the system folders and settings.

I hope with above knowledge you can tackle these issue better.